DSC_0053

Army Debunks AI Allegations on Killing of 640 Boko Haram Suspects

The Nigerian Army has debunked the latest statement by Amnesty International (AI) that the Nigerian Army and federal government have failed to investigate various allegations of human rights violations in the country. AI on Monday, accused the federal government of failing to conduct an effective, impartial and independent investigation into the killings of 640 recaptured detainees allegedly slaughtered by soldiers of the Nigerian Army two years ago. However, the Chief of Civil-Military Affairs (CCMA), Maj-Gen. Rogas Nicholas, in response to THISDAY inquiries, denied the allegations, saying that the issue was investigated extensively by the military authorities. Nicholas said the army investigations revealed that most of the peopled who died during th Giwa barracks attack were killed by the Boko Haram terrorists during their daring attempt to free the detainees on March 14, 2014. According to him, the Boko Haram terrorists, having overran the detention facilities, separated their members and killed those who “they felt were either not part of them or not willing to follow them again.” “There was nothing like that as it was Boko Haram terrorists that killed these people. This is because when they overran those places, there was no military presence there. So they took their people and killed those they claimed were not their members, and refused and could not go with them. “It was therefore, Boko Haram that took their own people as there was no military presence then, and killed those they felt were not part of them. We have carried out our investigation into this and communicated back to the AI. That is the truth and there is therefore, no basis for their allegations,” he explained. Nicholas recalled that the AI delegation led by the Director Research/Advocacy, Mr. Netsanet Belay, had last month met the army authorities where the issues was resolved. He said that the documents presented by the army during the meeting clearly explained the extensive investigation carried out, which showed that it was rather Boko Haram that perpetrated the dastardly acts. THISDAY had last month after the meeting with the AI team at the Army Headquarters (AHQ) in Abuja sighted a copy of the document submitted by the army detailing their investigations into the various cases of human rights allegations in the North-east including the Giwa barracks attacks. Speaking on the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and other related allegations of killings, Nicholas noted that the army has been in strict adherence to the Rules of Engagement (ROE). Source: THISDAY
print

Reviews

  • Chief of Civil Military Affairs10
  • 2

    Score




Please wait...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Want to be notified of Nigerian Army News Update? Enter your email address and name below to be the first to know.